Monday, September 20, 2010

Magic Beans

Presenting my favorite beans...


uncooked

However, I honestly cannot tell you their name, because I don't know it.  I just call them "leather strap beans"*.  In the Greater Toronto Area, they are grown in the backyard gardens of many Southern Italians and Greeks.  All I have to say is God bless them!

The beans have a velvety texture and are rather wide, at approximately 3/4".  As you can see, they and are a pleasant green colour.

Generally, beans are quite amazing for one's health, having incredible nutritional value, fiber, blah, blah, whatever...These ones are eff-ing amazing!

I simply cut off the stem end, wash and then steam them for approximately 5-10 minutes or until they turn bright green. While they are hot, I sprinkle with a little bit of sea salt and a splash of high-grade olive oil.




cooked

You can enjoy them hot or cold.  Either way, they will practically melt in your mouth...You're welcome!


*By the way, if anyone can let me know the actual name of these wonderful beans, it would be greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. I love green beans. i fry up some minced garlic and a bit of minced onions. stir in fresh chopped tomatoes (two or three depending on size). i have also use frozen tomatoes. cook the tomatoes a bit, throw in hot chili peppers, oregano, chopped parsley, salt and some pepper, simmer for a bit and then throw in the green uncooked beans. let them steam until tender. eat with lots of good bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. forgot to mention. i add a bit of water to just barely cover beans. or alternatatively, some chicken stock.

    ReplyDelete