Friday, October 21, 2011

Mustazzoli

It has been a while since I've had a chance to write. So, by popular demand, I have decided to write about mustazzoli.  Mustazzoli are a type of honey bread/biscuit that have their origins in the southern regions of Italy.


I tried searching for many recipes and they all seemed to have an old world feel. What I mean is that most recipes include directions like "use the amount of flour that is necessary", "make a tough dough" and "bake in a hot oven", for examples.


All of these traditional recipes are rather vague.  In response, I will try to provide you with more quantifiable directions.


First, begin with mixing 1/2 cup miele di fichi and 1/2 cup honey in a bowl. (For directions on how to make your own miele di fichi click here.)


Add two large eggs.


Mix in the liquid ingredients together.


While mixing, slowly add flour to the bowl (1 heaping tablespoon at a time). Once the mixture looks like the consistency of smooth peanut butter, add 2 teaspoons of baking powder.


Continue mixing and adding flour until you are left with a stiff dough that looks like the picture below.


Place the dough onto a greased, aluminum foil-lined baking tray. 


Using wet hands, form the dough into a flattened log. ( If I were to do this a second time, I would make multiple thin logs, as the mustazzoli would come out smaller.)


Bake the log in a 375°F convection oven for approximately 35 minutes or until it becomes a uniform, medium-brown colour. As the log bakes, you will notice a sweet, honey-like aroma fill in your kitchen.


Whilst still warm, cut the baked logs in to long, thin slices.


Once cooled, your mustazzoli will be ready to eat!

These sweets go great with coffee, tea or even ice cream!




***UPDATE: To view my recipe for gluten-free mustazzoli click here***

4 comments:

  1. I hope you can help, i would like to know how to make the hard Italian honey bread.

    I use to be able to only purchase it around easter or christmas time but know i don't seem to be able to get it anywhere any more.

    I hope you can help me.

    email: conchie13p@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Anonymous go to a web page on Facebook Casa di Miele.
      they also mail out if required

      Delete
  2. I am going to make this for sure! Maybe tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandma made a honey cake, looked exactly like this, only when she asked if you would like a piece of honey cake, it was in a cake pan 9 x 13 size, and she would slice it in long narrow slices....could this be the same recipe I am looking for by any chance..

    ReplyDelete